cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 18

Re: New cable to master socket

1000036133.jpg

There seems to be only 1 cable fitted into the face plate. I also lifted a floor panel and I can access the cable going to the bedroom socket. It will be easy enough to splice a new cable on so I'm happy with that. I will need to lift another area of flooring to see where the cable actually comes from as it's definitely not the master socket in the livingroom. 

There's no water ingress under the floor and it looks like it's free of any mice, is there a recommended type of connector I should use? 

Thanks again all. 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 18

the certainly looks like just an extension socket.  be helpful if you can find where the main openreach cable enters your home.

have you checked to see if your property can get FTTP?  just enter phone number or address and post results  

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

if FTTP available then fixing existing wiring not needed

you could just look at local paper and get a telecom person to sort out wiring if needed and probably quicker and cheaper than openreach

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 18

No fttp available unfortunately. They are doing work on my exchange to upgrade it, so hopefully it's not too far away. 

I will try and get my floor up in another area to see where this cable runs from. I plan on putting down carpet after decoration so whatever fix I do needs to be long term reliable. 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 18

Best splice is solder and heat shrink. If that's not your "thing" maybe its time to learn 8-))

Rgds
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 18

To join the thin phone wires I would use small gell crimps. Easy to get and easy to use and neat job

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 18

If I interpet the picture correctly, that's 6 cores from a single cable that run to the bedroom socket. You cut through each and, mysteriously, your internet broadband went down, so you twisted the cut cores together again and your broadband came back on. But, if your broadband router is plugged into a different socket in your lounge, that's impossible! Cutting the wires going to an unused socket should end you up no different from having the socket connected to the cores but not in use. There has to be another cable running from the bedroom socket to the lounge socket
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 18

1000036139.jpg

 Hopefully you can make it out but at the back right of the picture it looks like one cable come into the house under the floorboards and then splits into 2. One cable doubles back to the socket in the bathroom and the other disappears under the floor again into another room. I can't really lift anymore floor until I get a circular saw from work and cut a hatch. All seems a bit odd though. 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 18

On closer inspection that picture doesnt show a wire coming in then looping back to the bedroom socket. It's just one wire that looks like it's joined to another one. The joint is under an ensuite so I doubt I will get access to it now without a lot of work. I think I'm just going to join the cables using jelly crimps. Fit a new faceplate and just leave it till I can get full fibre. 

0 Ratings