cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Cancel Broadband - my Mum has moved into a Care Home

Hello, I really need some help.

I  am managing the affairs for my my 90-year-old Mother, Mary W. Her broadband contract expires in Aug 25.  Sadly, during March she had a fall and broke her neck and had to move into a Care Home on 4 April 2024, so that she can have 24-hour care and support.

She had been living independently, so her flat is now unoccupied, and in cannot in any case use the internet now  So I now need to cancel her BT Broadband ASAP.  This is especially urgent, since her monthly Care Home fees are financially crippling.

I phoned BT today, but the agent I spoke to simply said there is a £750 termination charge to pay. This seems both crazy and unkind in the circumstances

I've been able to cancel her Council Tax, Electricity, etc, with immediate effect, and with no termination charges.  My Mum has been a loyal BT customer for many years, so I'm asking if it can be possible in these circumstances - perhaps on compassionate grounds - for BT to waive this termination fee?

Please advise if this is possible, and if so how I can go about cancelling.  The next monthly BT bill is due soon so I'd like to get this sorted as soon as we can.

Thank you in advance for you understanding and assistance in these very upsetting times.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Cancel Broadband - my Mum has moved into a Care Home

@juleslane 

This is just a customer to customer help forum, everyone here, including myself, are just customers.

The only BT Employees are the forum moderators, I have asked one of them to post here.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

OK - thanks Keith.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Hi @juleslane and welcome to our community.

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry your mum has had to go into a care home. I can appreciate how worrying this must be for you. I'm sure I can help with her account. Please check your inbox for my message and drop me over the details.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

hi,im so sorry to hear about your mum. i really am. my dad had been in rehab for a long time after a fall, and was due home next week. he was injured in hospital, and died as a result of it.

ive posted here as bt are charging me over £700 for leaving dad's contract, even though multiple people on the phone told me i wouldnt have to pay. dads always been with bt. they told me i could have a deal, and keep our number (i live with dad) but they wouldnt give me a deal. so i joined sky as the guy told me i wouldnt have to pay to leave as its a bereavement,

i just wanted to send you so much love, and i hope they sort it for you. my dad was fully independent before the fall, and fought so hard to come home. it wouldve been 11 months away then finally coming home if he hadnt been dropped. i dont know how you feel, but i do know the agony of seeing your bright strong parent change in an instant. its incredibly traumatic, and im so sorry this happened to your mum. xxx

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Thanks Herb, that’s very kind of you.

It seems to be a common theme with BT - I assume they’ve had plenty of negative social media publicity over these issues. People often say that gets companies attention but I guess BT just don’t care ..

Message 7 of 7

@sherb 

You have a reply here on your original thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/bereavement-help-being-charged-over-700-for-dad-dying/m-p...

If you reply to the private message that has been sent by a moderator, should should get help.