Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 42

Re: FTTP Fibre 900 upload capped

Go to solution

@JE23 

you need cat5E or higher

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 22 of 42

Go to solution

The issues are different though, there is some odd software block in his router not updating/negotiating the new speed after an upgrade, these things can happen from time to time.

What you are describing is the fact you have 900Mb product but the WIFI isnt great, if you were getting 250Mb at the router via Ethernet then sure yeah i'd be peeved but to phrase the service as 'so called 900' then complain about WIFI isnt right. WIFI is a tough thing to crack and will be effected by all manner of things around properties, interference, wall thickness and material, other WIFI networks sharing the same channel....like I had a baby monitor camera that was causing a deadspot in my daughters room until I changed the 2.4Ghz channel.

ISP's will always provide a router that is pretty basic, if you want 900Mb over WIFI at all you will need to get some proper WIFI 6 AP's such as Unify etc...and you will need more than one of them as you arent likely to get 900Mb through a wall and in the next room, or you would need to spend a fortune on the super powerful ones depending on your environment, but even so, to provide flawless WIFI at nearly 1Gbit you are asking too much from an ISP router, you are going to need multi access points around the house all backed by ethernet back to source.

Speaking from alot of experience here with a difficult house to cover, I am currently installing Unify U6+ AP's around the house to achieve close to the product speed in each area.

By the way, the minimum speed guarantee im pretty sure does not apply to WIFI, BT wouldnt be that stupid, it will apply to what you are getting connected by ethernet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT Full Fibre 900 (Big Sport UHD) - Nokia ONT - Ubiquity ER-X - EETV Box Pro (IP Mode)
Message 23 of 42

Go to solution

Ok, I’m now losing the will to live over this …

I have just had a really good Openreach engineer out who has done his checks and has stated quiet clearly that this is a BT issue both with my broadband being capped at 20Mbps up and my Digital Voice service being in limbo.

He called up BT who claimed that the couldn’t even FIND my landline number on their system (I could hear the call and he was getting very frustrated with the girl on the off-shore call centre) let alone the order number.

I have messaged the Mod DavidM but have yet to hear back, so I’m about to get a bit ranty on the phone again.  No one at BT seems willing or able to take ownership of this, yet I’ve been paying for the service for some reason since the beginning of April.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 42

Go to solution

@trapdoor 

after you replied to PM from @DavidM  it can take 3/4 working days before mods will respond  to ensure everyone is treated equally the mods reply in order pms received.  everyone considers their case a priority so that way ensure everyone treated same .  when your PM reaches top of queue mods will contact you.  mods will help you get upload fixed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 25 of 42

Go to solution

@imjolly … ok thanks … I’m trying on the phone again currently. Apparently it’s a BT issue with part of the order not having been closed off once OR have done the install but no one seems able to actually get the order unstuck.

Its just very frustrating when BT keep blaming Openreach rather than someone at BT taking ownership and getting it resolved.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 42

Go to solution

@trapdoor 

I can appreciate the frustration and phoning and getting nowhere makes blood pressure boil but you would be better just doing nothing now and waiting for mods to get back to you as it is a hub update that is needed from similar posts

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 42

Go to solution

@trapdoor 

A parameter change needs to be applied the home hub, as it only has a low default upload value as it may be used by an FTTC customer, and higher values cause the hub to crash if someone tries to exceed the capability of the FTTC connection.

Its all to do with flow control. FTTP does not have that issue.

This change is normally applied automatically, but sometimes the data is wrong, and it need to be manually sent. The moderators can arrange that.

Message 28 of 42

Go to solution

I understand that I was just posting out of irritation! I phrased it so called 900mb because even via a laptop with an ethernet adapter it was about half that, however it was a borrowed generic adapter and I'm not sure what the max speed on it was. However, I've had numerous poor experiences with BT over at least 20 years of adulthood and remember issues even as a kid when my parents had it. 

I've been around for a while and am aware of the various issues with Wi-Fi. And I know that the SH2 is 5 so you wouldn't be getting max speeds even in a perfect setup using the base equipment. I wasn't expecting 900mb through the Wifi. What I was expecting is a stable service that even my copper 50mb+ line with BT provided.

What I am experiencing now is fluctuating speeds which are at best around 200mb, but often dropping to anything including single digits which makes it almost unusable. Even very late at night when nothing else is on or using the network, not that we have a lot on it anyway.

Call me skeptical due to previous problems, still I'll take your advice on board and was thinking much the same which is why I'm waiting. I did try a homeplug kit but didn't have much luck - it was expected as it's an old house and we haven't fully re-wired it since buying.

Yeah I assumed the speed gaurantee wouldn't apply to wi-fi, no brainer really which is why I'm waiting and have cable on order to fully test everything.

I did consider buying a 3rd party wifi 6 router and possibly a booster, but since I decided I could run a cable through I'll probably stick with that now and hopefully it'll be the end of it.

@imjolly Sorry, just wrote cat 5 for speed/lazyiness, I have cat 5e on order. Thanks for the tag anyway, details do matter sometimes!

Anyway don't want to hi-jack the thread further. Hopefully the cable will solve the issues.

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 42

Go to solution

@imjolly 

Eventually stumbled upon it again via another post.....

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4670157-bt-fttp-with-digital-voice-alternative-to-smart-hu...

Not for your average user though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT Full Fibre 900 (Big Sport UHD) - Nokia ONT - Ubiquity ER-X - EETV Box Pro (IP Mode)
Message 30 of 42

Go to solution

@naylor2006  happy to be proven wrong. As you say, not for the average user though.

0 Ratings