cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Trouble activating discovery+? *Read this first*

If you've just purchased a discovery+/TNT Sports subscription, this post does not apply to you.  Please follow the instructions you were given as part of the purchase process - it may take up to an hour for your pass to become active.

For older subscriptions please read these instructions carefully, and only email me if you've followed the steps and still failed - please DO NOT send me a DM on this web site, as they're much harder for me to manage.

Firstly, I would recommend that everyone use this site for activation: www.bt.com/sport/activate-discovery-plus

MyBT does also work for some account types, however if you're having issues follow the above link.

When you visit www.bt.com/sport/activate-discovery-plus it will either ask you to "Get Started" and then ask you to sign in, or ask you to select an already logged-in account. You need to log in with or select the BT ID that you were previously accessing BT Sport with, or that you've purchased your TNT Sports subscription on.  Once you do this, it'll either work or it'll show an error

NOT ACTIVATED

If you haven't activated your TNT Sports subscription and you are eligible to do so, it will then take you to the discovery+ site. From here you have 2 choices:

1. If you already have a login to discoveryplus.com (or the discovery+ app) then use the "Sign in" link in the top right corner of the screen. Once you've signed in with that account, your TNT Sports subscription will be added to it. Note: if you were already signed into any devices with that account, you'll need to sign out and sign in again to pick up the change in subscription.
  2. If you don't already have a login for discoveryplus.com (or the discovery+ app) then fill in the form. You can use any email address you like to create an account - it doesn't have to match your BT ID. Be very careful when typing the email address - make sure it's definitely an account you have access to. If it shows an error when trying to create an account then one probably already exists with that email address - try resetting your password on discoveryplus.com (make sure you check your junk email folder), and then continue as per #1 above.

Be sure to follow this process through to completion - i.e. confirmation that the account is now active.

ALREADY ACTIVATED

If you have already activated your discovery+ subscription then it will say "You're already activated". The first thing to try is requesting a password reset on discoveryplus.com for all the email addresses you may have used - registration has been open since November 2022, so it's possible you've already done it and forgotten. Be sure to check your junk email folder for the password reset email. If nothing arrives, then you don't have an account on that email address.

If it says you're already activated and you've tried all of your email addresses, then it's possible that your BT credentials have been stolen and someone else has used them to activate your account.  The first thing to do is change your password on bt.com just to be sure.  Then email tv.apps@bt.com mentioning that you've read this post, that the web site says you're already activated, and include your BT ID. I can then reset it, to allow you to activate again.

ERROR WB401

EE customers

If your BT Sport entitlement came from EE and you're seeing this error then it means BT's systems recognise you have a sport subscription (which is why your BT Sport login worked), but EE's system doesn't recognise an active subscription. Be honest with yourself at this point - do you really have an active EE entitlement to TNT Sports? There have been many BT Sport accounts that weren't cancelled when EE accounts changed, due to a system error. If this is you then accept that you've had it free for a long time, but not anymore.
If you really do have an active subscription that includes access to TNT Sports then first try activating at https://ee.co.uk/TNTSports If that also fails then I'm afraid you'll need to contact EE to get your entitlement reset (added and removed).

BT Mobile customers

This is a tough one. If your BT Mobile tariff is more than £20 a month then you probably should be entitled to TNT Sports, however there are many different subscription types and rules for this. The best I can suggest is you give the helpdesk a call on 0330 1234 150 (or call 150 from your mobile) to discuss your options.

Monthly pass (paying £29.99 a month)

Unfortunately your account has failed to set up correctly. Check your bank statement - have you actually been charged for your pass? If so, check the reference number on your statement which should include your account number (10 digits, usually beginning GB or 02). You can use this to create a new BT ID on bt.com, which you can then use to activate your pass. Alternatively you can call us on 0330 1234 150, however it may take a few days for someone to get back to you.

Other

If you're trying to use a login that begins with either btsport_pass or bts_pass then this cannot be used to activate discovery+ - this was a temporary login for the BT Sport app, and can no longer be used.

For all other WB401 scenarios, email me at tv.apps@bt.com mentioning that you've read this post, including your BT ID and BT account number in the email, and mentioning that you're seeing error WB401.

ERROR WB402

In all cases, this means that the discovery+ account has already been activated but either not using BT's web site, or not with the BT ID you're logged in with (e.g. if you activated with a previous BT ID, but then transferred the account to a new BT ID).

As above, the first thing to try is requesting a password reset on discoveryplus.com for all the email addresses you may have used - registration has been open since November 2022, so it's possible you've already done it and forgotten. Be sure to check your junk email folder for the password reset email. If nothing arrives, then you don't have an account on that email address.

If your subscription is from an EE mobile account, I'm afraid you need to contact EE and ask them to cancel your sports add-on then add it again. There's no way for me to cancel your current activation.
If you're a BT customer, email me at tv.apps@bt.com mentioning that you've read this post, including your BT ID and BT account number in the email, and mentioning that you're seeing error WB402. It would also help for you to mention the type of subscription you have (e.g. mobile, BT TV, broadband only, etc).

ALL OTHER ERRORS

If your subscription is from an EE mobile account, please contact EE.
Otherwise, email me at tv.apps@bt.com mentioning that you've read this post, including your BT ID and BT account number in the email. Please state what error you see, and mention the type of subscription you have (e.g. mobile, BT TV, broadband only, etc).

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Trouble activating discovery+? *Read this first*

I have a TNT Sport subscription through my EE mobile account.  When trying to register it asks for my BT ID, but I do not have a BT ID or account.  Is there a way around this please?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

If you don't have a BT ID then you shouldn't be trying to activate via the BT process - follow the EE activation process at ee.co.uk/TNTSports
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Thanks Darren.  I have activated on EE, but when I get to TNT Sports it asks me to provide my BT Id.  When I speak to Discovery+ about linking my EE subscription, they also direct me to TNT Sports with BT Id.  

I spoke at length with BT support and they said that I should be able to use my EE account name and password in place of BT Id, but that does not work.   Seems that there needs to be some means of obtaining a BT ID, even for those who do not have a BT billing account.

I will try technical support again.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

TNT Sports never uses a BT ID @Lettermuck - I'm not sure what app/site you're using?
You can watch TNT Sports on discoveryplus.com or in the discovery+ app. They require you to log in with your discovery+ login, which you will have created as part of the activation journey.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

I am an EE customer with a valid TNT Sports subscription and of course a valid  BT ID. My subscription includes the supply of an Apple TV onto which the old BT Sport app was loaded, and other apps now loaded include Discovery+ and Amazon Prime Video. Since February last year (I do not exaggerate) I have made constant efforts to Activate Discovery exactly as instructed by EE who later asked me to refer the matter to the Discovery help desk, to no avail of course.

The main problem until very recently was the WB 402 error which neither EE nor Discovery could explain. Now at long last we all know what that means. However the activation routine still rejects me without offering me any specific reason for doing so. In desperation I eventually asked EE to fund a temporary additional subscription to Amazon Prime for my access through their app to Discovery and TNT Sports. EE are effecting this by reducing my broadband bill accordingly, but this is a highly unsatisfactory arrangement without any proper commitment on their side.

The issue is still with their help desk and no end is yet in sight. As the BT and EE operations are now in the act of merging, would it be possible to put a few heads together and resolve this long outstanding issue? I am sure I am not the only victim.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

I've seen a small number of cases the same as yours @LongMan1 but none have been resolved yet. It happens when discovery's systems say you're already activated, but BT's don't.
We chased discovery again on Thursday for an update ... we're at their mercy.

You're welcome to email me at tv.apps@ee.co.uk with your account details, and I'll add them to the investigation.