cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Getting old landline number back

Go to solution

After changing to fibre optics last April we kept our landline but the handsets we were sent were unusable.  We couldn’t hear anyone on the other end due to crackling noises. After a few months of this problem, we complained to BT who said we didn’t really need a landline so we cancelled that side. However we have since learnt we could have got different handsets. I’ve phoned BT to see if we could reinstate the landline perhaps with handsets that actually work. I particularly want my old number back but am told this is not possible. They say best they can do is for us to order the landline back with a different number and then afterwards see if they can get the old number back.

My issue now is that it seems a gamble and an expense if

a) when we get new handsets they don’t work and

b) a lot of expense for no certainty. 

We would never have gone onto fibre optics had we been told the handsets for the landlines don’t always work after going on fibre optics. 

We’re in our 80s and recently I needed to get hold of my husband but his mobile wasn’t working. That really scared me. Can anyone help please 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Getting old landline number back

Go to solution

from previous forum posts on similar subject it is now to long since landline number was active you will not be able to retrieve it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Well to simplify things....if it needing to have a landline so you can get hold of your husband when all else fails then it doesnt matter what the number is because only one person needs to know it for that scenario, if that is really important then I would get a line back for that, well the digital voice line that comes down fibre that is, I assume BT wont be putting any physical line back.

I sympathize, my mum and dad are nearly 80 and now only have digital voice and the number I spent my entire childhood remembering has been replaced, its not the end of the world though, the important thing is you can get through like you said. They dont even have fibre, it seems digital voice is coming for even copper lines also. 

Just remember if the power goes off so does the phone with the internet, this is a compromise with digital voice but BT do state the following:

If there’s a power cut or your broadband fails, you’ll be unable to make any calls using Digital Voice, including 999 calls. You’ll still be able to use a mobile phone, just make sure you keep it charged at all times. If you don’t have a mobile phone or are in an area with no mobile signal, please contact us on0330 1234 150.

Customers who need extra support may be offered a battery backup unit to make sure you can still make calls. The unit will keep you connected for a short time if there is a power cut. We advise that you limit your usage to essential calls only to preserve battery life during any outage. If you believe you will need a battery backup unit, please contact us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT Full Fibre 900 (Big Sport UHD) - Nokia ONT - Ubiquity ER-X - EETV Box Pro (IP Mode)
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

as you gave up your landline then your current contract will be broadband only.  If you really want the landline calling ability then you would need to start a new 24 month contract for broadband and phone which only add max £5 per month but probably less.  However that is PAYG so you pay for every call you make but free to receive calls.  If you make a lot of landline calls then you would need to take the anytime call package at extra expense

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

It may have been ‘ suggested’ that you ‘don’t need a landline’ but ultimately it was your choice to remove the facility to make and receive ‘landline’ calls from your broadband.

If the ‘free’ BTDV handsets you were given turned out to be faulty you could have connected whatever phone instrument you were using previously , connecting that to the router , it’s not the case that only the free BT DV phone works , any phone with do , but obviously that’s irrelevant now .

As pointed out , asking for the phone service to be re established and getting a specific number allocated is  not going to be something that can be guaranteed ( in fact it’s quite unlikely ) so if that’s the case , it’s probably not a good idea to order it in the first place , then feel aggrieved that you were given the ‘wrong’ number , if you want a ‘landline’ type phone service again , you would first need to accept that it will be a new number and if that’s unacceptable, remain as you are , also BT don’t provide free BTDV phones anymore .