cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Moving House and No Access to BT broadband

I still got one year of contract period remaining with BT broadband. And I want to stay with BT 1000mbps service. 

Recently moved to a new house, I can't get any BT broadband services unless landlord allow some drilling work to be done. And the landlord dont allow it.

I tried to call BT customer service and there are 3 options :

1. Keep paying for existing plan for next 12 months but getting NO broadband service.

2. Cancel the contract with early termination fee of roughly £500.

3.Start a new 24 months contract of 4G mobile broadband but the guarantee speed is only 40mbps (700mbps fpr existing plan)

None of the above option is acceptable for me.

Please give me some advice.

What should I do?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Moving House and No Access to BT broadband

@inchmouth 

Nothing else you can do, apart from point out to the landlord that any work is minimal, and would make the property easier to rent in the future. Show them this.

https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/full-fibre-broadband-installation-checklist

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

@inchmouthwrote:

What should I do?

Of little help now but what you should have done is ensured that suitable broadband was available before signing the tenancy agreement. I can understand why people don't but lesson for the future.

Are you dealing direct with the landlord or via a letting agency? If the latter try to contact the landlord directly & point out that as his property is now in a fibre priority area, he will find long-term letting nigh impossible in future if he doesn't allow the installation.

But at the end of the day if he refuses then 4G is your only option. Hopefully you can then convert that back to a FTTP contract when you move again. Whilst not ideal there isn't much you can't do on a 40Mb connection & millions get by on similar or less.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

What does you rental address show at this site ( use the address check not phone number )
https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL,
Look for the part similar to this

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed with no anticipated issues.

If your address is overhead or ducted underground then TBH , the change to the property is so minuscule that personally I would just order FTTP and if the landlord noticed (not likely) then it’s easier to get forgiveness than permission, if it’s not a simple replacement of copper for fibre , for example if excavation through the front  garden were needed  , then perhaps not do that without permission,as that would be obvious , post the DSL checker return so the installation method can be seen .

As far as your contractual obligations, you signed a minimum term deal , and  there is the means for BT to continue to provide your service at this  new address , BT are being perfectly reasonable, it’s not BT ‘fault’ if you renege on that agreement , so ETC is valid if you don’t take the offer of service ,  you may feel the options are unacceptable , but the fact is BT didn’t change the status quo, you did by moving address  

Your landlord needs to recognise that once FTTP is available, then it’s the default broadband network, the copper pair can’t be used  anymore, if an Alternative Network were available the same installation method is necessary, so they would have some change even if they were OK with an Alt Net .

As landlord they  would in effect be  insisting that their tenants can have no broadband apart from mobile , that makes for an undesirable ‘let’ , it’s in their own interest to get this network installed otherwise getting a tenant will be difficult, unless they make the same assumptions that you have .

0 Ratings