cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Email saying I am leaving BT for another provider when I am NOT and have not given any notice

Hello

Yesterday 30th April I received an email saying 'sorry you are leaving' and to contact BT by the 26th April to stop my service being terminated!! Obviously impossible as the date has passed.

I have not given any notice that I am leaving. I spent an hour on the phone last night, but was told as it was past the 26th April, this process cannot be stopped and my internet will be going off during the next few days and will be at least 2 weeks for an engineer to come ( why) to have it re-instated. I have a smart hub and socket etc in the wall.

This is through no fault of my own, I have not given any notice, but it appears now I have to have no internet ( I work from home) and no one seems to be really able to see why. How can this happen?

In fact I have just received another text to say sorry you are leaving, contact us by the 26th April.

Wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them and how they fixed it without having my broadband disrupted. I have been advised that I will have to take out a new contract like a 'new customer' Been with BT for probably the best part of 15 years, maybe time to leave as no one seems to want to help me apart from saying this process ( that they started and I do not wish to be part of) has to be completed.

Help

Allie

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Email saying I am leaving BT for another provider when I am NOT and have not given any notice

Are you saying the email was sent with an already failed date to stop the migration or you didn’t read the email until after the critical date ?

The Gaining Provider Led provider migration process is mandated by Ofcom needs only the new ISP  to instigate the change , the only automatic involvement from the old ISP , is to send the notification you received ( either late , or you didn’t read until too late ) ,as in a normal migration obviously the customer knows they are leaving one ISP for another , they made the call or ordered online.

This GPL  system is open to mistakes , a customer or ISP mis identifys your address as the one they want and start migrating you in error ( the sorry to see you leave is the only way you would know ) or it could be a malicious act , someone deliberately targeting you , non standard addresses ( like flat 1 , flat A , top flat ) are easily misidentified , is your address anything like that ? 

If your address was misidentified, then as most ISPs provide a new router has anything been delivered to your address from an ISP but with a different name ?  that’s another clue that your address was used in error by the ISP taking over your ‘line’ .

Unfortunately there isn’t much that can be done in these circumstances, the provision of the incorrect ISP service can’t be cancelled after the date given ( which is 10 dats after the incorrect order was made ) the order needs to finish its journey before an new order to restore your service can be placed , unfortunately a delay is inevitable 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Re: Email saying I am leaving BT for another provider when I am NOT and have not given any notice

Try badgering BT for a 4G Mini Hub to tide you over (if you have signal).

On the plus side, you should be bale to get new customer pricing if that's the game they're playing. Although your next battle might well be early termination charges. Make sure you keep the emails & screen shot the text as evidence.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

"this process cannot be stopped and my internet will be going off during the next few days and will be at least 2 weeks for an engineer to come ( why) to have it re-instated."

Your internet can clearly be stopped remotely, so why do BT say an engineer has to visit to re-instate it?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

If the area now has FTTP , then the reconnection will be as FTTP , even the incorrect migration order would  have been also been with a FTTP install ,

if there is no FTTP available, then the appointment will likely be unnecessary , and something of an insurance incase the line isn’t remotely brought into service , generally  a text is sent  ( if BT  have the OP mobile  ) stating the line should now be working , but to reply to the text if it isn’t , the visit only takes place if the line doesn’t start functioning and the OP reply’s to the text .

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Just want to say that I went right to the very top with my complaint (CEO) and it was all sorted yesterday. I am so grateful for this and just shows when they say you have to go through a process and it can't be stopped, it can.

BT going to look into why this happened ( as was nothing to do with me) and come back to me.

Just so so glad that no interruption to my broadband.

Thanks BT for sorting this ( even though it was your error)

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

But it wasn’t BT error , it was whoever requested the takeover of your line , no one ever stated it was your fault ,you still haven’t said if the email was sent with entire to respond to its contents, but you didn’t read it in time or the date to respond was already expired when the mail arrived 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

I didn't receive the email until after the cut off date ( actually 4 days later) so BT are at fault there. How could I respond when all communications were sent after the cut off date. I am also at a loss at how someone can request a takeover of my line without me knowing or giving permission.

It is all sorted now I am very glad to say.

Just very relieved

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

They can't without your knowledge, that is why you are contacted to confirm the takeover to prevent slamming or mistakes. Unfortunately in this case for some unknown reason the email was not sent in a timely manner.

0 Ratings