cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Broadband VFM

I currently have Fibre with BT Halo 3+,  (53-59 Mbps). My usage is only for web browsing/emails and using a Smart TV. I am paying nearly £60 for this package. (Includes £2.15 for digital voice/payg which I’ve never used. In advance of my contract renewal, I’ve seen BT advertise Fibre 2 on switching sites for nearly half my current payment. Is Fibre 2 adequate for my needs, as, as a pensioner (!), I’m looking at trying to make savings where I can. Thank you in advance.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Broadband VFM

Halo3+ is quite a costly addition ( in relation to the base price of broadband ) so if the benefits of it like adding home wifi hotspots, automatically switching to mobile in case of faults , extra mobile benefits ( if you have BT mobile ) and home expert visits are of no use , ( or not worth the extra cost ) getting rid may well half the price you pay  , however anecdotally it seems this is easier said than done . 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Fibre 2 is what you currently have, bumped up by the Halo3+ add-on. As @iniltous said, ditching Halo3+ will be a significant saving. But BT appear to be very reluctant to let this golden goose go. So you have to be prepared to switch supplier when your contract ends. Although have a look here & see if you qualify.

From what you describe, Fibre 1 or even Fibre Essentials would do the job.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Yes, I allowed myself to be switched to HALO 3 some years ago when some BT marketing bumpf convinced me it was a good deal - it wasn't such an expensive add-on then I recall.
I too am now paying near £60/month for FTTC and around 60Mbps, and get irritated when I see BT ads for similar speeds at half the price.
However, the experiences (eg complete loss of broadband for weeks on end) of others on this Community who have tried to change HALO to less expensive deals have so far put me off trying to change.
It's disreputable marketing practices by BT, although it seems that all broadband providers operate the same way.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Thank you all for investing the time to reply. All very helpful

0 Ratings