cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Slow Speed on Day 1

Go to solution

Hi ive just changed from 1000mb broadband to BT 500mb and ive just checked im only getting a rather bad 62mbps.

is this normal for the first day?

Regards

Liam

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Slow Speed on Day 1

Go to solution

Hello. Is that over the Wifi or directly by cable? They say that speed may vary for few days until it settles but that I presume would happen going from lower to higher not other way round!

With FTTC speed updates are almost instant after updating the config file so would expect ~500 from the get go ...

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

@liamb2001 

There is no change in speed, you get the full speed right away, but only on a fast PC connected directly to the home hub, using an Ethernet cable which is at least CAT5e.

You will get nothing like the full speed on a wireless connection.

Connect things as I have said, then run this speed test, remembering to select the correct option.

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Select 500/1000mb option.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for responding. Its wired, cat6e / cat 7 cables i do my tests on.

Its nothing to do with the device or any equipment, i literally swapped out my plusnet yesterday where iw as getting 1000mbs for the bt hub this morning and im still getting a very dissappointing 67mb, when on plusnt it was 1000mb the second they installed it so its a little worrying when ive paid 500mb but hopefully someone at BT can shed some light on it. Not the best first impression i have to say.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

are you 100% its supposed to be full speed or are you guessing? the other post and posts online claim it can take a few days. I need to know for certain if ive got an issue.

As stated above its 100% not my equipment or cables because the same ones were wired were giving 1000 mbps  only last night my mac studio and top end gaming PC both plugged into it directly

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

FTTP is full speed day 1. It is not rate adaptive like FTTC.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@liamb2001 

What does the BT Wholesale Performance Test show?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@liamb2001 

Are you confusing megaBITs with MegaBYTES?

500 Mbit = 62.5 MB which is what you are getting.

Some speed testers give results in MegaBYTES   (MB/s)

Your connection speed would be 500 MegaBITS (Mb/s)

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

To clarify Ive gone from 1gb line to 500mb line. So half the speed. Fast.com last night showed 1000mbps. (sometimes 1100) its now showing 64mps, it should be around 500mbps.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@liamb2001 

phone CS 03301234150 as looks like you are on wrong profile and get them to update

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings