cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Is this a scam: "A message about your BT broadband..." offering a visit from an engineer

Go to solution

This email came to me, and a similar text to my mobile phone. It looks like a scam to me but I can't figure out as my broadband HAS been playing up recently

Any advice? 

Hello

We have noticed that your broadband is not performing as well as it should be, so you might experience problems browsing online or watching TV services.
Don't worry, our expert engineers are on hand to help and you won't be charged anything for a visit.

What do I need to do?

You just need to choose a date that is suitable for an engineer visit.

Simply reply with either NEXT or MORE to the SMS we sent you from 61998 to mobile number ********XxX

NEXT to book the earliest appointment, ideal for those who can have someone at home during the week.
     MORE to be sent 2 further slots to choose from. ( usually in the next 3 working days )

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Is this a scam: "A message about your BT broadband..." offering a visit from an engine

Go to solution

99% sure it’s a scam.  No ISP will proactively contact you to tell you your connection is not up to scratch…they view making contact as your job, not theirs.

I suspect if you contact them the booking will involve you “confirming” who you are and consequently being asked to give out sensitive info.

Note, if they send you a code and then ask you to read it back to confirm who you are, or that they are genuine, it is because they have used the forgotten password routine.  If you tell them the code it gives them access to your account.

I’d just delete it.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Re: Is this a scam: "A message about your BT broadband..." offering a visit from an engine

Go to solution

@ScarletPwrote:

99% sure it’s a scam.  No ISP will proactively contact you to tell you your connection is not up to scratch…they view making contact as your job, not theirs.

I suspect if you contact them the booking will involve you “confirming” who you are and consequently being asked to give out sensitive info.

BT do proactively monitor speeds and if an issue is found, they will contact customers if an internal fault is suspected, non-appointed faults are raised and dealt with before the customer is aware of the info.

Your statement that 'No ISP will proactively contact you to tell you your connection is not up to scratch' is 100% incorrect.

@SIMONABI  the shortcode number 61998 is a genuine number used by BT, the message contents are also what BT would send, why not contact the BT fault team manually, then you're 100% safe, the number from the BT Contact Pages  is:

From BT mobile

From the UK

0330 1234 150

From outside the UK

+44 150 174 7714

Monday to Friday, 8am to 9pm

Weekends and bank holidays, 8am to 8pm

Calls to 0330 1234 150 are free when calling from the BT network. Calls from other networks may be charged.

Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Then I stand corrected, sir!

I did say 99% certain.  What you have said also contradicts advice give out previously on this forum but I bow to your greater experience.

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you, it looks as though it's genuine. your info was very helpful

0 Ratings